Dealing with mental health in a short consultation window is really hard! This course will give you the tools and techniques to make a real difference.
What's it all about?
This course has been designed to give you a range of tools and skills you can use within a 10-minute consultation window, and to teach you how to adopt a structured approach to mental health appointments in every day practice.
As you’d expect, you’ll also get 6 CPD credits for attending the course and a copy of the handbook to take home with you. There’s also 12 months FREE access to www.gpcpd.com. If you’ve not used it before it’s our online Handbook, in-consultation search engine and CPD tracker all rolled into one super useful resource.
We’ll use real case studies to learn about:
- The ‘mental health condition families’ -
looking at them in a new way.
- How to navigate different diagnostic options -
and more importantly, how to explain these
with a narrative that helps patients to get better.
- Therapies and drug dilemmas: we'll cover
everything from psychological and talking
therapy, to drug-based treatments and
self-care and promoting physical health.
- Creating new narratives: for a range of
mental health disorders we consider how
could we describe it to help patients
understand their experience? How does
someone with this condition think, feel
and behave? For many patients, this is
a key first step in management.
- Bread and butter conditions like depression
and anxiety - focusing on practical skills we
can use with patients, promoting self-care,
great resources you can share and pitfalls to avoid.
- Strategies for common challenges like repeat
attenders and personality disorder.
- ‘Microskills’ like behavioural activation, problem
solving and self-compassion that you can start
using with patients the next day!
- The ‘risky’ stuff: risk assessment, mental
health ‘emergencies’ and the impact
- Special groups including children and the perinatal period.
- Well-being of health professionals and how we can look after ourselves.